Friday, November 8, 2013

Better Early Than Late

Yes, I know that it is a little too early for some to begin decorating for Christmas. I just don't happen to be one of them.

Last year, I left my Christmas tree in one piece so that it would be easier to decorate and I could do it more quickly. That also means decorating the light pole in front of my home with a lit garland, running greenery through the spindles of the stairway to the second story, decorating the mantel, and placing other bits of Christmas décor throughout.

This year I am going to be a little earlier than usual. The weather is to take a nasty turn on Tuesday and I don't want to decorate outside when it's 40 degrees and rainy. So on Monday, when it is in the 60s, my neighbors will be greeted with the first signs of the season, or maybe not. They may be thinking as I am.

I do love Christmas although it is somewhat bittersweet. I miss my loved ones who have transitioned to eternity, especially my husband, Steve. It was so much fun to celebrate holidays with him. He let me be a big kid, and then joined in the fun.

But this is also the time that I think of the real meaning of Christmas. Had Christ not been born, I would have no hope of seeing the departed ones I love. The best gift I could ever receive is being reunited with them, and then with those who will follow me.

While many people will grouse about the Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, it isn't a problem for me. I'm thankful every day for my many blessings and for the gift of hope. So, at this time, I can truly say: better early than late.

No comments:

Post a Comment