Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Final Question

Most of us don't like to think about death, or at least until we have to do so.While the subject no longer bothers me, I have an inkling about how I might face it because of a recent event and a past dream.

From previous experience, I know how quickly things can go south when your body starts doing weird things. Last Thursday, I discovered that I again have high blood pressure. That was a surprise because I felt well and had not needed medication for hypertension for a couple of years. (Yes, I'm one of the few who has been able to go off the medication). This was discovered during a routine visit to my neurologist, and he suggested that I see my Internist this week, but watch it in the meantime.

On Friday, I became nauseated every time my blood pressure would become high, and it fluctuated greatly throughout the day. On Saturday I attended a meeting in the morning and after a while, became very nauseated again. I decided to leave and go home, but within just a few minutes, some very strange additional symptoms occurred and my friends finally called an ambulance to take me to the ER.

Although I didn't think I was dying, I knew that it could be a possibility because of the tremors, strange numbness spreading in my hands and up both arms, and breathing issues that were beginning. And, it was  still unknown what was causing the high blood pressure which now registered 214/136. So, the thought of dying did cross my mind. As I expected, it did not frighten me. I was communicating with God (like most of do in times of peril), but it was to ask for a smooth transition if it was my time. I felt myself wanting to cry, but that seems to be normal when one is really sick (but not sick enough to die). That was actually a good sign! In any case, all my affairs are in order so no worries there.

I've also had one very rare type of dream where I dreamt that I died, and all was well. Not to be morose, it just follows that a strong belief in the afterlife certainly makes one a lot more comfortable with the idea of one's demise. Now that isn't to say that I wouldn't be fearful if someone pointed a weapon at me, or if there were some type of rapidly approaching painful event like drowning or accident, but I am a bit more comforted by the fact that it doesn't seem to be the big issue that it could be.It just makes me even more grateful to have my particular Christian beliefs.

There are many religions and seemingly many paths to God that others follow, but I find more and more how important my faith is to me, and what it means. It seems our journey is rooted in a verse from the Old Testament, Joshua 24:15 "...as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." It truly does a body good!

No comments:

Post a Comment