Thursday, May 14, 2015

Being Always Thankful is Easier Sometimes

Saturday I had one of those days. Not the bad kind, but the one where you wish you had bought a lottery ticket. Everything seems right with the world and things just go your way. We've all had them, and it seems easier to remember those because they don't occur as often as normal days or the ones that just make you want to bury your head in the sand.

My day seemed routine, but really improved in the evening. I attended a fundraiser for which I had had tickets for some time. Feeling very fatigued lately and a bit under the weather, I missed the awards ceremony for Kansas Authors Club District 2 that morning, but I didn't want to miss the evening event since it was paid for already.

At the evening event, I wound up winning a door prize basket and two silent auction baskets which were also a good deal. When I returned home, I had a message from a friend telling me I had won an award from the KAC  contest. It wasn't until the next day that I discovered it was first prize in the humor category which thrilled me even more. After always being a bridesmaid and never a bride (winning 2nd or 3rd and never first), I missed it. Maybe for me the key to winning is not to attend the ceremony.

All that aside, it was a good day, and I was happy to thank God in my prayers. I'm trying to do that daily, but it just seems easier to do when all goes well.

I'm reading a book that often talks about thanking God even when circumstances seem to warrant anything but appreciation. But, if we truly look at life, there is always something for which we can be grateful. Just the fact that we have our faith to fall back on and the ability to talk to God when things don't go right, is sufficient reason to be thankful. I just have to remember that we sometimes learn more from negative situations than from positive ones.

Romans 8:28 states: "And we know that in all things God works for the good56 of those who love him, who have been called57 according to his purpose."   Thessalonians 5:18 also states: "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

So there you have it - God wants us all to be thankful when things go well and also when they do not. I remind myself that many times God has made lemonade from my troubles which were lemons. But, I'm just so incredibly happy when things go my way like they did Saturday. Maybe that's giving me a little glimpse of what Heaven is really like - not just occasionally, but every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment