Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sometimes Yes and Sometimes No

As a person of faith, I think receiving an answer of no to a prayer causes one of the biggest struggles, especially if that prayer involves a critical matter to the supplicant. After all, John 14:13 states: "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

I have prayed for healing for many individuals, but no more so than for my late husband. In fact, I prayed for a miraculous healing until he took his last breath. I surmised, What could have been a better way to glorify God? Just look at the incidents in the Bible where life was restored by Jesus and his disciples. 

No to his healing was a difficult answer for me to accept, but I must believe that dying isn't a punishment for the one who passes. It is just a temporary difficulty that can also be a horrific one for those of us who are left behind. If we truly believe the promises of Heaven, then we can accept God's answer even though we may not agree or like it.

Now, there have been yes answers to my prayers, too. Most recently, I wrote about a longtime friend who caused me a great deal of pain in wanting to end the friendship over an unfair judgement. I prayed about that and eventually found peace. But the better part? This friend called me last week and apologized! It was a good conversation because I had already forgiven her with God's help.

I think of the families in Charleston who experienced such a tragic loss at the hands of a gunman filled with hate. They demonstrated a true Christian following of Jesus in forgiveness. To do so could only be with God's help. No human alone could endure what they must have felt. Our nature as humans is to seek revenge, to be angry, to question God.  Instead, they found courage to bury themselves in the love of God for all mankind. To do that is in itself a miracle!

Now there have been many others things to which my prayers have also received yes answers. And I must admit, even with my share of difficulties, I am grateful to God for the life I've been given. I would not want to exchange places with anyone who has gone before me, resides in the present with me, or will come after I am gone. That, too, is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment