Thursday, August 27, 2015

Unknown Influence

You never know what influence you have on others. Teachers hear that all the time, but it really applies to all of us.

Last Sunday, our new pastor cited an unknown survey which purportedly determined that children remain in their faith and go to church when they become adults because of childhood relationships with at least five unrelated members of their church. That's a good wake-up call to interact and become acquainted with the children in the congregation.

In response to an announcement that my Christmas story submission to Chicken Soup for the Soul: Merry Christmas! would appear in the 2015 edition of the book, I heard from many wonderful friends and family members. One in particular made me think about the impact we have in this world.

A friend commented that she wished she had done as much for others as I had, but I was surprised by her comment. She obviously didn't realize what an amazing influence she is to so many.  She listens and provides tender encouragement to those in need, and she is very supportive of everyone's efforts. Her compassion and care impact lives far more than any words written by me.

Her comment also made me think of my late husband. Steve was probably the most selfless person I've ever known. He knew when someone needed to talk, or to have a shoulder to cry on - sometimes, I'm embarrassed to say, much to my chagrin and impatience. While I might be generous in giving things, he was generous in spirit.

When Steve was preparing to leave this world, he lamented that he had never done much to make this world a better place because he hadn't saved a life, invented something great, etc. What? I couldn't believe what he was saying! He always gave of himself; his time, his energy, and his love. He was generous in what Jesus asks of us - to truly care for each other. (John 13: 34-35 "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." - NSRV)

Fortunately, Steve had an inkling of what he meant to many when the long lines of visitors to the hospital during his last days resulted in an extended queue that had to be managed. These were people on whom Steve had a positive impact, and he influenced them to live a better life in countless ways.

So, I concede that influence knows no bounds. Perhaps it's in the gentle way we look at life, the kindness that we bestow on strangers, or the effort we put into truly getting to know our fellowman and his needs. But of one thing I'm pretty certain - those who mistakenly believe they have no positive impact on this world are often the ones to quietly serve as the example we should follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment