Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Tribute to George



Anyone who has read my book, Simple Things to Make This World a Better Place, is familiar with the section that offers 20 things one can do for those who have just lost someone close. But sometimes more is required, hence this tribute to George.

Upon learning of his passing that occurred last Friday, I immediately said a prayer for his wife Beth. There are marriages where you absolutely know God’s blessing was at hand, and theirs was one. I recognized it from my own experience, and I will be forever grateful to have had my wonderful husband on my life’s journey.

Just like my husband Steve, George was a genuinely caring and wonderful human being. He and Beth were one of the reasons I managed to survive my loss. They quickly came to my aid for anything, including helping me to move, fix a tire, and even hanging the draperies in my bedroom.  But they did something even greater for me - they invited me to a weekly Bible study group that provided a nice social outlet where I could strengthen my faith and grow spiritually.

Besides being a wonderful lector, cantor and choir member in our church, as well as a retired professor and former school board member, George was just one of those people you could easily trust and like. He lived his faith well, and participated in countless efforts to improve the life of others. Yes, the world truly lost a special person, and I’m sure everyone who knew him is very much aware of that fact.

In the coming days, I know it will be difficult for those who loved George not to have his physical presence, but I also know that this is the time when faith becomes most important. It is the hope to see our loved ones again and never to be parted for all eternity. I pray peace for his family with that affirmation.

Truly, George will be missed and he serves as a reminder, like many others who’ve gone before us, that we should all leave this world with a little void. As an old Indian saying goes, “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Rest in peace, dear George, and may God say to you, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment