Monday, November 28, 2016

I'm Ready!

Last year, I had a little difficulty getting into the Christmas spirit. I enjoyed all the excitement of the season, but it took a while to "feel it." This year is different.

More than three weeks ago, my son and daughter-in-law (who would put up her tree on Labor Day if my son allowed it), unexpectedly dropped in saying, "We're here to help you put up your tree and decorate." Who am I to argue about putting the tree up approximately two weeks before Thanksgiving?"

As a former preschool and corporate director, I've managed to keep the "kid" within me alive. My faith plays an important part in how I celebrate the season, but there is still that child-like wonder with a touch of magic that lingers.

This year, I've been on the fringe of the Christmas spirit since late May when I purchased two special gifts for my sons at a fundraiser. This was followed by the shopping channels' Christmas in July promotions, and I've been buying ever since. That is why, when most people are just beginning to shop, I'm finished!

Last year, I finished early too, and it allowed me to focus more on what mattered. That's what ultimately got me into the Christmas spirit, and that made it easy to decide what to do this year. I'll give to charities as usual, read all the Christmas books I want, watch all the Christmas movies I want, and decide what special things I can do for others.

If I choose to shop and not just give a check to help those in need, it will be a special event for me - it will feel differently than buying for my family and friends. There is just something within our nature that makes us feel good to do acts of kindness without seeking anything in return.

Matthew 6:4 (NIV) states: "...so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." While I believe that we can share ideas (not boast) for doing good things as a way to encourage others, God knows how much fun it is for us to share our blessings. I am grateful that He lets me participate in that manner, and lets me truly "feel" the Christmas spirit.

1 comment:

  1. You're a good person, Vicki. I'm proud to be your sister.

    ReplyDelete