Monday, February 24, 2014

Unfamiliar Situations

I recently attended a group whose topic of conversation was about death. While you might think that's a really morose subject, the discussion was (forgive the pun) quite lively.


What was most unusual for me was discussing this subject in a group where there were many atheists or agnostics. I left after the meeting ended feeling somewhat helpless to make a difference, but that wasn't my reason for attending, and the guidelines clearly directed that religion was not a part of it.


Although I clearly stated that I am a person of faith, I really wondered what I was supposed to do. And then I thought, maybe my presence and acclamation were as much a part of why I was there as the research for my next book.


I am not a zealot, but I do have a deep faith. I will never go to a stranger and ask, "Are you saved?" I won't send emails that guilt someone into passing them along with a statement that if "you are not embarrassed by or ashamed of our Lord...." On the same token, I'm not shy about my faith.


I think how Jesus and the apostles brought people to God. It wasn't through cheap rhetoric, but by how they lived their lives, and by their teachings to anyone who was ready and willing to listen. From my experience, that is what truly converts others - not guilt or an in-your-face mentality.


As a Stephen Minister, there is a saying that, "We are the care-giver; God is the cure-giver." In the same way, I believe we are directed to set the example and to profess what our faith is all about to willing recipients of our teaching. My opinion is, if you can't tell I'm a Christian other than my asking if you are saved or through a forwarded email, then I'm not living my life as I should.


So maybe my purpose, and God's will for me, is just to attend and conduct my research about those who are dying with a belief in the after life. Some people in the group are still searching for what they believe, but everyone is willing to say, "I don't know," and some things can't be proved.


No one can prove to me that there isn't a Heaven anymore than I can prove there is one. I believe it because it has been revealed to me that there is - much like when Jesus asked Peter, "who do you say that I am"" (Matthew 16: 15-17).  Peter's response, "you are the Messiah, the son of the living God," was rewarded with Jesus' affirmation that this was a revelation, a gift of knowledge from God.


So when I attend another discussion session, I am confident that God just expects me to be present and He'll tell me if I need to do anything. Just like with Stephen Ministry, I'm just a care-giver; He is the cure-giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment