Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wow! What a snowfall!

It seems strange, but adversity often brings out the best in people. Maybe it is because we share such a common bond at that time, realizing that whatever malady occurred to someone else, it could happen to us. And even if it does happen to all of us, there is a strong desire to help each other.


This is also the time that the Golden Rule, Matthew 7:12, might be most often practiced: "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (NIV).


During the last few snows this winter, as with previous ones, I have been the recipient of many kind gestures. That includes suddenly discovering that someone has anonymously cleared my drive and walkway. At other times, young neighbors, and even my driver for Deffenbaugh recycling, have stopped their cars and jumped out to help me as I've tried to do the task myself.


I am always grateful for assistance when I need it, but also sorry when I haven't been able to acknowledge or thank someone who has bestowed a kindness without my knowledge. So today when I heard shoveling outside my door, I quickly made it a point to encounter the person doing the good deed. This time, it happened to be a young man who lives across the street.


We didn't know each other's name, but I made a point of introductions. He refused any token of appreciation from me, but as secretary to my home owner association, I vowed to recognize his and other's efforts by placing a note on our community's yahoo group.


So many times we experience kindness from our fellowman. Sometimes it is anonymous and sometimes not. Those who do such selfless acts deserve to be appreciated, and I for one, vow never to let the goodness in the world and those who make it a better place, go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment