Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Food Bank Visit



A friend with some special needs issues asked me to go with her as support to one of the many food banks in our community. She wasn’t sure of the location and it was her first visit.

Not knowing what to expect, we arrived and were greeted by a nice young woman who was doing check-in for the scheduled appointments. When she asked our names, I quickly responded that I was not there to receive food. (I thought that was interesting because it told me that those in need are indistinguishable from those who aren’t). My friend gave her information and one of the volunteers ushered her aside to make selections from a list.

As a few other recipients entered the reception area, I noticed how nicely the interactions were handled. There was nothing to embarrass anyone in need of the services, and the entire shopping experience was handled efficiently and competently.

I’m not aware of how other food banks operate, but after selections were made by my friend, she gave a bag to the volunteer who then disappeared to shop for her. In only a few minutes, the volunteer returned with a bag full of food.

My friend was grateful and excited to know that she could make the visit once per month. Since the food given to her would not even last a week, she will probably need to visit other community food banks to supplement her needs.

I was grateful, too. I was grateful that such help is available to those who might go hungry, and grateful that I was not one of them. That clearly defined again what my responsibilities are because of my blessings.

I had some donations already prepared to give to a local food bank, but decided this time that they could be best used by my friend. I also asked for a list of needed items from the food bank we visited, and I will purchase some of those items when I shop again. Additionally my church collects food for a local food pantry so there are many opportunities and options to donate.

I am saddened and astonished that statistics show that hunger could be eliminated world-wide if we, who have, only shared. Luke 12:48 states “…From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Since most people living in the U.S. are among the top 5% richest in the world (even our poor are better off than most), there are expectations.

Individually we can’t even make a dent in the total need, but collectively, we can make a difference. We can make a difference by giving to local food banks and pantries. What does an extra dollar mean to most of us to buy a can of soup or canned fruit? One can is seemingly nothing, but added to items that others have donated, it could become an important part of a meal for someone in need.

My eyes are opened even further because of my visit to the food bank with my friend. While I periodically made food donations to various agencies, now I will do so consistently. And when I thank God for my blessings, I’ll remember to thank Him as well for all the people who donate food and serve others with this most basic need.

No comments:

Post a Comment