Thursday, June 19, 2014

Can Giving Be Addictive?

I'm not one to read advice columns, but since I had recently finished every puzzle on the page of the newspaper that also includes one of the aforesaid columns, the title caught my eye. A woman's generosity was so out of control that she began borrowing to satisfy her "addiction." I can certainly think of worse addictions, but I don't think that is what God intended. 

Romans 12:6-9  states: "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

I think the idea is to share what you have, not what you don’t have. Being generous is admirable by human standards and expected by godly standards. Tithing is the expectation at 10%, but certainly giving more is showing true generosity.

Perhaps what the woman really needs is to know that it is right to share with others less fortunate, but that can come in many ways in addition to monetary giving. Volunteering at a food bank or meal site for the homeless could be a way to supplement fewer food donations or less money to purchase food. Helping others perform tasks could also be a supplement to giving money for certain fundraisers.
     
I would never oppose anyone trying to share as much as he/she can. In fact, when I shop, 4 out of 5 times I try to extend my giving by finding something for others in need. I should never be praised for doing so and I don’t want to be. I do it because I can, and I should share what blessings I have.  My only purpose in mentioning that fact is to encourage others to think about doing the same.

So, whatever we have been given, the Bible also says we should use for good. I think true happiness only comes when we care for others more than ourselves, and that means that whatever possessions we have should be gratefully shared.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment