Thursday, September 25, 2014

Social Media and Friends




I recently celebrated by birthday (no need to elaborate on what number it was), and several thoughts occurred to me: It’s great to have friends and social media really does connect people.

Although I don’t use social media that often, it was a pleasant surprise to receive “Happy Birthday” wishes from so many people, many of whom pleasantly surprised me with their contact. It’s so nice that others think you are important enough to want to share in your day in some manner.  

I’ve also learned the value of social media to announce posting of my make-a-difference Examiner Articles, website and even this blog. I also appreciate when others share my postings or website and comment. I’m still hoping for more referrals via this media for my next book (see www.vickijulian.com to learn more or see the video of me talking about it).

On my actual birthday, my sons visited of course, but because of the weather, we postponed my requested picnic until after the extended-family party the next day.  That made my evening free to accept the invitation of my friends Darwin and Susan, who are actually more like family. They treated me to dinner and a movie, and ended my birthday in the best possible way.

Most people who know me are also aware that my birthday is always a little bittersweet for me. Eight years ago, my birthday occurred just two days after learning that my husband’s kidneys were failing, and I would lose him a full month and a half sooner than expected. Even with the terminal cancer diagnosis, he managed, while in the hospital, to rally family and friends to host a surprise birthday party for me. (I celebrate my birthday only because he wanted me to do so, just like the last time he could celebrate with me).

I believe that God gives us friends for a reason. Some become closer than others and some become family. I think of Matthew 6:20 (NIV): 20” But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” It’s our relationships that really count. Friends are just a little glimpse of Heaven where we can understand the enjoyment, caring, compassion and love that awaits us.


No comments:

Post a Comment