Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Thoughts on Getting Older

Since my birthday is approaching, I've begun to contemplate getting older. My late husband used to joke that "any day above ground is a good day," but that was sorely tested when his cancer turned terminal. It's difficult to watch someone you love suffer so that pretty much negates what he once said.

As we age, I think we are all a bit concerned about our longevity and the quality of life. We all agree that the second aspect is as important or even more so than the first. I've learned to live my life more as a one-day-at-a-time journey and not procrastinate as much as I did when I was younger. (I've already bought several Christmas presents!) We don't know what tomorrow holds and what quality of life we will have.

I've also learned such life altering lessons as a bad hair day doesn't ruin your existence. I'm not as focused on possessions as I once was, but that could also be due to my deepening faith. I don't sweat "keeping up with the Kardashians," spend time preening, or waste time on movies or other past times that aren't entertaining or fulfilling. I'm now more concerned with following what Jesus taught.

Happiness doesn't come from things; it comes from focusing on what's really important - and that is pertinent to any age. I still find the Bible to be the best guide for living our lives. So no matter how I age, I'm going to concentrate on the quality of life I have today, and be thankful every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment