Sunday, March 1, 2015

Boasting and Blessings

This past week at different times, I had occasion to recount all the activities I'm involved with to three individuals. I did so in explaining why I can't really take on any other activities and how thrilled I am to do what I do. Later, in retrospect, I realized it could sound a lot like boasting if someone didn't know me well.

I engage in many volunteer opportunities, and I consider what I can do as a blessing to me. God has enabled me to do these things and showed me they can be done mostly on my own schedule - that is, when I am physically able to do them. A chronic illness may have taken some things away from me, but it hasn't taken away what's most important and my ability to make a difference.

Why is it a blessing to do the volunteering? Because serving others is what gives life meaning. It's what gives value to our existence. I can then concentrate on what I can do, not what I can't. And, if I can inspire others to do the same, well that's just another blessing.

1 Peter 4:10 says: "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms." Jesus also told his disciples that they must serve each other, and whoever would be great must be the least. I don't care at all about being great, but I do care about showing my gratitude to God by serving others.

The simple fact is that God empowers us all to make this world better by helping others. I believe true happiness is possible only when we look beyond ourselves. If we are engaged in helping others, we are too busy to concentrate on our own challenges and the ills that have befallen us. You can't feel sorry for yourself when you are thinking about and doing good deeds for other people.

So the next time I tell others about the many ways I try to help others by volunteering, I'll make sure they understand why I'm doing so. It's not boasting to show what a great person I am - it's how God has blessed me to be able to do those things for his people and my fellowman.

No comments:

Post a Comment