Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Daily Log



My last (and probably final) article for The Humanitarian Examiner was to suggest a journal of at least one daily activity to make this world a better place. That’s the best New Year’s resolution I can think of!  Although I already really try my best to live that way, it proved more difficult than I thought when it had to be recorded on paper!

I believe that even simple acts such as talking to a stranger who is waiting behind you in the grocery line, smiling at everyone you encounter, giving simple courtesies as holding the door or offering help are ways to easily do that. But, it’s apparent to me that you also have to make some opportunities. 

I especially found myself scurrying for some ideas on days when I didn’t leave the house. Then I realized that writing a check to charity, and making extra stew for dinner and offering to save some for my sons and daughter-in-law also could be entries. Calling to check on a friend who is home bound was another way to make this world a better place.

The other thing I’ve learned from this experience is, on some days, there may actually be many opportunities to make a difference. That’s terrific and I tried to take advantage of as many possibilities as I could, but my goal was to do something every day and make just one entry. That’s more difficult.

Because I try to live by Hebrews 10:24: “Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds,” I’m sharing this suggestion with you. Make it a point to do something every day to make this world a better place. If everyone did that, what a difference we could make! Not only would individuals take note, but the entire world would reap the benefit.

If you do decide to try this little experiment, which could also be great for a Lenten activity, please let me know how it goes for you.  I’d love to share it on my blog (using first names only, of course), and then you would gain an entry in your journal just in abiding by Hebrews 10:24, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment