Tuesday, April 26, 2016

What is Real Strength?

I watched a movie the other night that was based on a true story. It's called "The Cross and the Switch Blade" with Pat Boone in the title role. Although the cinema is very dated (from the 70s), it tells the story of David Wilkerson, a young pastor from the hills in Pennsylvania, who came to the gang neighborhoods of New York in hopes of bringing the message of love to those who needed to hear it most.

Of course, there was the bravado of the gang leaders, who didn't want to appear weak before others, and rebelled against the message. Winning over one of the leaders became the pastor's focus because he knew others would follow. If the meanest, toughest guy could admit he needed God's love, who beneath him could argue that they don't?

While some of the story line and acting seemed a bit too "staged," there was an ah-ha moment for me - one that I easily recognized: Real strength often comes from weakness. Knowing that you don't have to be weak, but allowing it for what is good, takes an effort from the divine.

In 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV), the Bible says: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." That is pretty awesome! But showing weakness is often something under-rated and unappreciated in our society.

It takes true strength not to retaliate when we are attacked either verbally or physically. To clarify, I'm not talking about situations where we should fight back such as when someone wants to do us or another bodily harm. I'm talking more about situations where someone tries to provoke us and maybe others are watching. It would be easy to answer in the same manner, but it takes real strength not to do so. At other times, it may simply be accepting help (even when you don't need it) because it will make the giver feel good.

The best example of strength in allowing weakness is Jesus on the cross. He could have commanded the angels to save himself, or to put an end to all the taunting and abuse he received from others. Instead, he gave the bravest demonstration of strength that the world has ever seen.

I can only pray that God makes me strong by giving me the courage to be weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment