Saturday, July 16, 2016

Christmas in July - Oh My!



Last year I was uncharacteristically slow to get into the Christmas spirit. But if my reaction to the shopping channels’ Christmas in July sales are any indication, I won’t have any problem this year.

All of the three major networks (HSN, Evine and QVC) offer some great Christmas décor, food items, and gifts. I successfully avoided succumbing to the wares of the first two, but there were two things I wanted to order again from QVC. Once, I found those presentations, it was easy to spend additional money on other items.

I think that’s typical of how many of us approach life. Once we commit to something, it opens the door and we can’t stop. That’s not a problem unless we do it to excess or to the detriment of ourselves or others.

Sin is often described as excessive behavior. The Ten Commandments seem to support that theory to some extent, but they also mandate that some behavior should just not occur, like stealing. As a former pastor once said, “thou shalt not kill” isn’t an exact translation. We kill all the time. We kill animals to eat, euthanize pets, swat flies, squash spiders, etc. The real issue is murder. Do we kill another human being without cause rather than in self-defense or to protect others?

So when is it appropriate to be a zealot or to be passionate about a matter? I guess that depends upon the circumstances.

Once you begin doing the right things, you want to do more. Random of acts of kindness is something that comes to mind. The opposite can be said for things like little white lies and cheating on taxes. Luke 16:10 states: “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much” (NIV).  I really believe that is a true statement.

So for now, I’m going to enjoy celebrating my favorite holiday even though the temperature is nearing 100 degrees. I love the feeling of the Christmas season, and the opportunity to think of others, even if it means buying some presents five months early. Anything that encourages me or others to do that can’t be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment