Thursday, August 18, 2016

Trying to Understand Atheism

I don't often click on links from my web browser, but I did when one caught my eye with the caption, "25 Hollywood Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Atheists." Well, some on that list surprised me and others just made sense. Some also had misconceptions of what I think faith and religion to be, and others were too wrapped up in their own egos to think that anything or anyone else could be in control.

I know all about free will, but I'm somewhat confused by people who don't believe in God, or rather I want them to at least believe in something. That something should be an acknowledgement that there is more to this world and universe than ourselves regardless of whether it is a holy creator, enlightenment that surpasses our current existence, etc. If one doesn't believe in God, then at least be an agnostic who says he/she doesn't actually know.

I have no problem with science and explanations of how the universe and everything in it were created. Maybe God used the Big Bang Theory, or even evolution. The point is that it had to start somewhere, and I attribute it to God because I  can't explain it otherwise. Atheists go to maybe the point of "how" in order to explain things, but where did the matter or the energy come from to give us the starting point? They don't seem to be bothered with that - I am, and I need to make sense of it.

What I found about the self-proclaimed atheists in the article is that they fail to ask the one question that begins the pursuit of knowledge - Why? People of faith often wonder why with questions such as: Why are we here? Why do bad things happen? Why? Why? Why! It's acceptance of the reality that we don't and can't know everything.

Religion aside, our small, individual, existence does mean something. If it didn't, why would we even be aware of it being finite? If there is nothing greater than us, why don't we use more than a small part of our brain? Why aren't we better to one another? Why is there so much we don't understand? How do we comprehend existence that isn't lineal? There are so many questions, it could make my head hurt!

I accept that one does not have to be a Christian, or for that matter, a believer in God to be a good person and do good things, but I know I'm a better person because of my faith. I also know that I can't look at a beautiful sky or magnificent tree, hear joyous music or see so many wonderful gifts in this world and not believe that something greater than I is responsible.

We will all have the answers someday, but until then, I'll continue to be amazed and confused at (and probably pray for) those who proudly proclaim their atheism.


No comments:

Post a Comment