Saturday, January 28, 2017

Celebrating a "One-sided" Anniversary

Two days ago, I celebrated my 44th wedding anniversary. I celebrated it just as I have, since Steve passed on 10 years ago, by going out to dinner with my two sons. They are the two closest things I have to Steve, and I see so much of him in Chris and Ryan.

I also have a standing order for flowers on the altar of my church around the 26th of January to commemorate the anniversary. It helps me to reminisce about the day that so profoundly changed my life in many ways, and I believe, made me a better person. Without that day, I also would not have the faith that has become so important to me.

I've begun to see marriage differently over the years. Having been blessed to wed my soulmate, I wonder how our relationship will be in the afterlife. When asked who will be the husband of the woman who had had many husbands, Jesus said that there is no marriage in Heaven. Bummer! Of course, he did indicate that relationships will continue and on a more deeper level, but I admit I'm still a little confused about how that will be.

I know that marriage was an institution created to bring about family. Procreation was a focus and there no longer is that need in the afterlife, hence, no marriage. The problem is I want to be Steve's wife, and I want him to be my husband. But I think the issue really lies in verbiage. Words only  define what a relationship is - they are not the description.

So, what do I say to those lucky enough to still have their soulmates in physical form? I say Happy Anniversary! Enjoy this earthly relationship, but I truly hope the best is yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. I hope so, too, Vicki, but you and Steve came close to Heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete