Monday, October 30, 2017

I Can't Wait

Some people choose Halloween as their favorite holiday. I like Halloween, but by far, Christmas is my favorite. I love buying gifts, the caring attitude of the season, the family time, etc.

Last year I was finished buying gifts in early December and I loved it. The only thing left was to enjoy living in the present to actually enjoy all the activities and events, and buying a few stocking stuffers. I intend to do that again this year.

If a confession were in order, I'd have to say that I've been anticipating Christmas since July when the big shopping channels introduced their Christmas in July sales. And, yes, I've had a steady stream of boxes delivered by UPS and USPS since then with more to come.

The real temptation for me though is not to forget Thanksgiving. I might set up my outside Christmas decorations right after Halloween, but it's due more to whenever the weather is decent. (I learned the hard way that it's difficult to decorate with any kind of flair when you can't feel your fingers.)

As a Lutheran, I observe Advent, the time leading up to the birth of Christ. I try very hard to not let the secular overcome the non-secular even when I'm reading Christmas books, watching Christmas movies, baking goodies, etc. But I'm also determined to devote time to Thanksgiving. It's something I try to do on a daily basis too.

Living life with a grateful heart offers many benefits. Perhaps the most important is contentment with what one has and the desire to share. Knowing that we are blessed, and by whom, translates into the commandment that Jesus gave us to love one another. I like that, and maybe that's one of the reasons why I like Christmas more than Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment