Sunday, October 22, 2017

Marriage is a Gift

Marriage is a gift, not just for the two individuals involved, but for families and friends who join the celebration. And that was certainly the case when my oldest son and I made a six hour round trip to Omaha on Saturday to attend the nuptials of my great-nephew Zach.

Although I tease Zach about being a fan of Big Red (he's really a Corn Husker alumnus from Nebraska, but I delight in asking him why he likes the gum so much),  I was thrilled for him and excited to meet his new wife. Just seeing the joy at the union of two young people who are beginning their life together as one, is miraculous. Out of millions of people, when the right two find each other, that is a true blessing and gift.

Of course, no one enjoyed weddings more than Jesus, I think. After all, his first miracle was at a wedding in Cana when he turned water into wine. I can just imagine how overjoyed he finally was to do something special for the couple.

Connecting with others in common joy is a blessing. Seeing family members (whom we maybe haven't seen in years), meeting new people, and basking in the renewal of hope is a gift. It's also a reminder to those of us, who have lost our own special love, that God still continues to give us many good things in life.

Blessings and happy ever-after to Zach and Stacey!

No comments:

Post a Comment