Friday, February 16, 2018

Ups and Downs

Just like the stock market, life has its ups and downs. Fortunately, most of us know how to weather the bad and enjoy the good. Christians, I think, are especially fortunate because we have faith "in our corner" to see us through whatever challenges we face, and grateful hearts for happiness. For me, the past week has held some very happy times, and I am savoring every detail as a blessing.

Last week, I was able to secure a SKYPE call for our Kansas Authors Club district with Amy Newmark, the Executive Editor and co-owner of Chicken Soup for the Soul. It was an incredible opportunity for our group as well as honor that she chose to make contact with us. Amy discussed what they look for in stories for their publication, and answered any questions we had.

Our scheduled 30 minute conversation turned into nearly one hour. During that time, Amy announced one of my stories was already chosen to appear in their annual Christmas book this year (which was a big surprise since they haven't finished accepting entries as yet)! It will be my 5th time in one of their anthologies, and I am excited and humbled with each selection. I know the call encouraged others in our group to make submissions, some for the first time, and it certainly made my day!

And then on Valentine's Day, our singles group from church gathered for lunch at a local restaurant after Ash Wednesday services. At the luncheon, these wonderful ladies gave me a "Grandma Shower" with fun items to keep at my home for when my new little grandson visits. The gifts included anything from toys and books to practical items such as bibs and spoons, photo album, pacifiers,clothing, and a teether-rattle. These friends knew how excited I was to become a grandparent and graciously asked to see photos too! (What grandparent doesn't like to indulge in that?)

In both of the scenarios, the key element was sharing − one shared helpful knowledge including information that elated me, and the other shared in my joy. Both were also great examples of how God sends others our way, whether in times of need or in times of happiness.

As a Stephen Minister in my church, we call ourselves care givers. God is the cure giver who uses us to provide physical presence of His love for the person who is facing a particular life challenge or experience. It is truly a blessing to be a servant in that manner.

So, as I contemplate this past week, I will file it away as one of blessings. I don't know what will follow tomorrow, next week, or next year. But whatever comes, I know there will be others sent by God to cross my path to give comfort or joy, depending upon whatever is my circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment