Monday, March 12, 2018

Why We Are Here

I have recently finished reading Dan Brown's book Origin. It asks two questions about our existence: Where did we come from?Where are we going?

The book, like many others by Dan Brown, has had some negative response, especially due to its main character Robert Langdon who is somewhat agnostic. But strangely enough, the character asks the question which all atheists should ask. In  the book, one of Robert Langdon's former students (Edmond) asserts, "...the laws of physics alone can create life."  And then the paragraph continues with "but for Langdon it raised one burning question that he was surprised nobody was asking: If the laws of physics are so powerful that they can create life...who created the laws?!"  Bingo!

We humans abide by a very linear timeline − things are finite in our world and we can't imagine how it all really began. But it did begin somewhere and many of us call that God. He created us and all that is. As I've said before in other blogs, I really don't care how God created everything, I just believe He (and Jesus, John 1:3) did it. 

Now as to the other question (spoiler alert), asking where we are going, it alludes to becoming one with technology. That part is a little more difficult to refute. Already, advances have created bionics and implants that help to assist and regulate our failing bodies. It's also no secret that at some point, earth will become over-populated, long before our sun becomes a supernova. Although these issues are in the future, I am more concerned with the ever-present question and answer of why we are here.

I do believe in science, and I do believe in God, so in the end, the question of our existence isn't really a problem for me; I simply believe we are here to care for our fellowman. And for me, that's what really counts. Oh, one more thing − I'll also keep reading Dan Brown's books for entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. Thought provoking, Vicki. If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you read some of Mark Twain's writings, both for entertainment and because in some of his stories he touches on some pretty profound issues. The Mysterious Stranger is one that has stayed with me. Long way of saying, good job, as usual.

    ReplyDelete