Monday, November 5, 2018

A Blast from the Past

Several months ago, I wrote about hoping to have a 50th high school reunion. I then commented that I wasn't as much interested in the accomplishments of my classmates as who they are today. I'm happy to say that both of my desires were met this past weekend.

Shortly after my blog post, I received an email about our reunion − indeed, there would be one thanks to three special alumni along with a number of others. Of course, I had to do my part of contributing to the event and promptly volunteered to do a reunion yearbook. Creating and distributing a questionnaire allowed me to ask the obligatory questions like family and past career/jobs, but it also presented the opportunity to ask my fellow alums to describe themselves today. Although there were not as many responses as I had hoped, the book was a hit and very much worth all my time and effort.

I was especially proud of the prevailing attitudes of my former classmates. Many chose altruistic careers, lived adventurous lives, and had impressive accomplishments whether professional or personal, but the true test of knowing who we were came when I asked their philosophy of life, favorite quote, or words they live by.

Perhaps because we are getting older and well past half our life span, most cited living and enjoying the present, and valuing family. Many also indicated their faith as a factor in how they perceive and live in this world. It all made me grateful.

As a person of faith, I don't see most things as coincidences; I see them as blessings or even interruptions in our normal lives that make us pay attention.  Whatever comes our way in the future, the reunion was a small glimpse of what we share on a more global scale − our humanity. That was greatly exemplified by how happy we were to see each other, even those with whom we weren't particularly close to in high school. What was not common to us then, is now.

We are older, and I dare say, better versions of our younger selves. We have learned many of life's lessons, and are keenly aware we are just a small (although important) part of this big, beautiful  world. Yes, it was a blast from the last and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment