Saturday, December 8, 2018

My Ode to Christmas Shopping

Anyone who knows me well is aware that I am not a poet. But, on occasion, one of the Greek muses selects me to write a poem. (Recently, it was Thalia, muse of comedy and bucolic poetry). With the season upon us, I wrote the following, and just for the record, I am finished shopping!


‘Twas the Day Before Christmas


‘Twas the day before Christmas                                      I searched for some charities
No presents I’ve bought                                                     To give in their honor.
Where did the time go                                                         That’s the best gift of all
That I almost forgot?                                                            I began soon to ponder.

No wrapping or ribbons                                                      Now after the donations
Oh, what should I do?                                                          Were all given as gifts,         
My family expects something                                             I smiled as I realized
And it all must be new!                                                        The meaning of Christmas is 
                                                                                                       this.

Away to my computer                                                         My family was thrilled
I flew like a flash                                                                   And the gifts were just right
For last minute gifts                                                             So I went to bed happy.
Please, system, don’t crash.                                             Merry Christmas to all and a
     peaceful good night!
I’ll order my gifts
And send e-cards their way.
I’ll have to pay extra
But that’s still okay.

Then as I sat there                                                   With apologies to Clement C. Moore
Ready to click enter,                                                           
I paused for a moment
As I turned on my printer.

Are e-cards real gifts
To give from the heart,
Or just an obligation
That somehow did start?

So I reflected a minute
And thought what was right.
With so many in need,
I should be easing their plight.

My recipients don’t need gifts,
But there are others who do.
That should be my focus
And I hope my family’s too.

No comments:

Post a Comment