Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Week 7: How to Make This World a Better Place

I blew it! I'm a day behind.  With the holiday, today seems like Monday for me, not Tuesday, so I apologize that my blog is late. In any case, I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day and remembered to honor the men and women who sacrificed their lives to keep the principles upon which our country was founded, and I hope you remembered loved ones who passed on as well.

Since one of the great defining aspects of our nation is to be "the land of opportunity," it fit well with something I learned long ago, and still try to practice as much as I can − never miss an opportunity to do something good. For me, that brought home two particular deeds this week.

I received a special pizza offer for online ordering and carryout. It was a great opportunity to purchase one for myself and one for a neighbor who goes out of her way to do unexpected things for me like break up tree roots that are choking the grass in my front yard, put my newspaper where I can easily retrieve it, and place a beautiful hanging basket on my lamppost.

Since sales were also widespread, Omaha Steaks was offering a free shipping and 50% off promotion. I know someone who can't afford extras like the decadent molten lava cakes she loves, so after some deliberation about whether I should spend the extra money, I recalled my mission regarding opportunity and decided to send them to her.

We are all given opportunities (and the power) to do something positive for someone else. Sometimes opportunities come at the same time as mine did, and sometimes they come days or weeks apart. My challenge to you is to seize an opportunity to do good this week. Follow that little nudge where you aren't quite sure if you should make the sacrifice, but do it. And if opportunity presents itself more than once, bless yourself and another person by taking any action you can to make this world a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment