Monday, December 23, 2019

Almost Christmas

Last night I decided to drive downtown to see the Christmas lights. My city has done an outstanding job of decorating for the holidays and will leave most of the lights up until February 15. It's a matter of shining the way in the darkest time of the year.

I also thought about all the unfortunate individuals who will not experience the blessed Christmas that I will. My traditional, annual Christmas Eve open house will be attended by many family and friends, and then gifts will be exchanged. None of us need anything, and I always feel a little sad and guilty that I cannot share more with those who do have need, not that I don't try.

I also began to think more of those who have experienced loss of loved ones recently, or are having difficulty coping, even years later. I know I was still in shock the first Christmas after losing my husband. The second was even more difficult because I knew what was coming. My sons and I had to figure out how to do Christmas without the patriarch of our family. I knew we still needed to celebrate because Christmas is the beginning--if it hadn't been for the birth of Jesus, I would never again see my husband or other family members who have transitioned heavenly.  Now that is a gift.

May you all have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment