Sunday, May 10, 2020

Experiencing the Frontlines Firsthand

After experiencing breathing issues, high blood pressure, and rapid heart rate, I decided it was time to visit the emergency department of my local hospital. It was before 3am when my son (an ED nurse in another city) and I arrived, and I was happy to be getting the issues addressed.

We knew my son could not stay with me due to procedures implemented by most hospitals to reduce the spread of COVID 19. That wasn't a problem for either of us because we didn't know how long any treatment might take.

After multiple tests, a CT scan, and X-rays, a different and more serious problem was discovered, and I was admitted. I actually breathed a sigh of relief knowing my visit was justified after all, and then very grateful I did decide to make the trip!

Besides receiving treatment for my breathing, and beginning another for the other issue, I experienced what our front line heroes are doing everyday. Having a son and daughter-in-law who are nurses, I know how hard they work and how much they care about their patients. I encountered nothing less from the great staff at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

My letter to the hospital's CEO is being mailed tomorrow. I believe in taking time and making the effort to acknowledge excellence and service beyond what is expected. A cheerful and friendly attitude despite the circumstance means so much, especially now with the uncertainty that gives little rest worldwide.

The individuals who cared for me had plenty of challenges of their own in trying to home-school their children, find family time, juggle resources, etc., yet they left all behind and concentrated on doing what they do best. Their profession (be it nursing, housekeeping, lab technician, physician, pharmaceutical, respiratory, emergency) isn't just a paycheck to them, but a genuine desire to serve. Heroes? Absolutely!

Romans 12:6 states, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us," and the verse continues as to how we should use them. I can plainly see what gifts the wonderful staff at LMH possesses. We should all follow their example with our own gifts.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Vicki, and I know so sincerely meant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience Vicki! Much love!
    Terri Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. The last time I was hospitalized was overnight decades ago for food poisoning (in Chicago). I hope you are doing well.

      Delete