Friday, August 2, 2013

Doing the Right Thing


Just the other day, I received a reimbursement check from my prescription drug insurance company due to overcharging on the copay. Since it was for a drug costing over $4,100+ per month, I am fortunate to receive some assistance on the exorbitant amount of the copay through the Chronic Disease Fund (CDF). The check really belonged to them.

I decided to make a call to CDF and ask them what to do with the check. The very sweet customer service representative asked the amount - $48 and change, - and said she would need to email her supervisor. Apparently, this was an issue she had never before encountered, but one I hope she needs to address from others who receive a similar check.

After a brief pause, she stated that her supervisor said that I could keep it or send it back, and I wasn’t “obligated” in any way to do the latter. Although that was very nice to say I could keep it, not being obligated is not the same as being right. I didn’t pay the copay – they did. So of course, I asked the address of where to send my personal check since I could not forward the check sent to me.

Why did I choose to do the right thing? Aside from the fact that the money is restored to the fund to help others, it wasn’t because I’m above temptation, I assure you. It was because of the guidance that popped into my head via Luke 16:10 – “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.” Message received - God's gentle reminder to me to be trustworthy.
It’s just another way how the Bible tells me I can help to make this world a better place, one simple thing at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment