Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What's Your Favorite?



I recently recalled a question not often asked, but was put forth in my Stephen Ministry training – “What’s your favorite part of the Lord’s Prayer?” That is one that most of us have to think about. And then there is the sometimes asked, “What is your favorite Bible verse?”

Strangely, I have no problem answering either one of those questions.

My favorite part of the Lord’s Prayer is “thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.” Wow! Can you imagine how much better the world would be if God were totally in charge? I imagine there would be justice; there would only be good things. Heaven is supposed to be ideal so what could be better than for things to work the same on earth as in Heaven?

Now, do I think that is possible? Not in this currently broken world, but I do think we can and do have an obligation to work toward making this world a better place. It’s not unfathomable that we could do God’s will by trying to exercise a little less judgment of our fellow man. And certainly, we could all probably be a little more charitable just to name a few things.

As to my favorite Bible verse, I love Hebrews 10:24, “Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds.” Just as bad things can influence us to do other bad things, the same is true for good things. In fact, the feeling is so great when we do something that we know is good that there is a desire to do more. It fits well with my favorite part of the Lord’s prayer and doing what I believe is God’s will.

So what are your favorites? Even if you aren't Christian, I know that you have books of worship and prayer from which to choose. People of faith know there is something better than what we now have. My only question is whether we ourselves are trying to do God's will or merely repeating words.

No comments:

Post a Comment