Monday, December 23, 2019

My Ode to the Real Meaning of Christmas

Last year I wrote this poem for fun. It's not really what I do personally as those who know me realize I start buying gifts in July. I'm usually also finished around the first of December. But, in any case, enjoy and Merry Christmas!

‘Twas the Day Before Christmas


‘Twas the day before Christmas                                       I searched for some charities
No presents I’ve bought                                                     To give in their honor.
Where did the time go                                                         That’s the best gift of all
That I almost forgot?                                                           I began soon to ponder.

No wrapping or ribbons                                                      Now after the donations
Oh, what should I do?                                                          Were all given as gifts,         
My family expects something                                             I smiled as I realized
And it all must be new!                                                        The meaning of Christmas is this.

Away to my computer                                                         My family was thrilled
I flew like a flash                                                                   And the gifts were just right
For last minute gifts                                                             So I went to bed happy.
Please, system, don’t crash.                                             Merry Christmas to all and a
     peaceful good night!
I’ll order my gifts
And send e-cards their way.
I’ll have to pay extra
But that’s still okay.

Then as I sat there                                                   With apologies to Clement C. Moore
Ready to click enter,                                                           Vicki L. Julian
I paused for a moment
As I turned on my printer.

Are e-cards real gifts
To give from the heart,
Or just an obligation
That somehow did start?

So I reflected a minute
And thought what was right.
With so many in need,
I should be easing their plight.

My recipients don’t need gifts,
But there are others who do.
That should be my focus
And I hope my family’s too.

No comments:

Post a Comment