Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Being Complacent

Our pastor recently gave a sermon on complacency. It's the mindset that allows others to "let somebody else do it." I keep thinking of Revelation 3:16 "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (NIV) Wow! That means complacency, and  its companion apathy, are dangerous. 

There is an old saying that "if you want to get something done, ask a busy person to do it." It's true. Busy doers are the ones who get things done. Unlike those who wait for someone else to take responsibility, they adopt the Nike motto and "just do it." 

Admittedly, we all are a little guilty of complacency in our lives. Personally, I know there are things I should do, but they just aren't a priority for me due to time, effort, resources or ability. But then there is something about which none of us should be complacent, and that is doing our part to make this world a better place. It can't occur without our being vested and committed.  

I've mentioned previously that I keep a journal of what I do each day to make this world a better place it's my accountability to take responsibility. Some days it's quite impactful, and on others, it's as simple as giving a compliment. It's not so much about the action, but the desire to act in a positive way. None of us knows when our final day on earth will be, and while it's difficult to live every one of them as if it were the last, we need to take responsibility and act to make it count.

Don't expect the church to be there for you if you don't support it. Don't expect peace in the world if you cannot even find it in your own heart. Don't believe that someone else will stand up for justice in your place. Don't think it's up to other people to make the world a better place. Anything worth caring about is worthy of our taking action. 

So, with the season of love and caring upon us, we should each ask ourselves: What matters? and What can I do about it? We are more of an answer than we realize.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment