Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Right Time

I did something fun today. It was fun because it wasn't expected and the time was right.

In this season of gifting, it's easy to miss the simple giving that occurs year round. I'm talking about those individuals who do a little extra to make our lives easier, and those who volunteer to do the necessary things that we either can't or prefer not to do. Remembering them at Christmas is perfect.

I set out popcorn bins for the sanitation and recycle crews who make a special effort to collect my refuse nearer to my home instead of at the curb. My mail carrier is also so conscientious that he even caught and redirected a Christmas card sent to my previous home address 10 years ago! These are the obvious people to remember to thank.

But then I began to think about my church and how wonderful and blessed we are to worship there. I took boxes of gourmet chocolates to personally thank each of the five paid staff members, and wrote thank you notes to several of the volunteers who almost should have designated offices because of their countless efforts and time spent at the church.

And then I remembered, too, those who coordinate our pet pantry, organize lectors and ushers,  handle the sacristy, head Sunday School education and programs, serve on our outreach and internal committees, assist with church needs, and the list goes on and on. So, I wrote a simple thank you addressed to "All the Volunteers."  I asked our Parish Life Administrator to post it on the bulletin board in the hallway.

Christmas is the time to remember when the greatest gift of all was given. What better time to remember and acknowledge those who give of themselves all year? And, of course, the added bonus is that it was fun!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You have a grateful heart, Vicki. I'm sure those folks are grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete