Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Expectations for Religious Rites


I recently witnessed the baptism of our associate pastor's baby daughter. It was a joyous occasion for the congregation as well as many out-of-town family and friends of Pastor Jen and her husband, Chris.

Not all denominations baptize babies or children, but we Lutherans do so as a promise to God to raise the child as a Christian. When the child is older and a young adolescent, he or she takes confirmation classes to accept the Baptism that was performed as an infant.

 As I witnessed the promise of these parents, I knew it would be fulfilled, and then I wondered about the many babies and children who are baptized, but are never seen again except maybe on Easter and Christmas when their parents attend.  

Grace is an important part of the Christian faith, but as Pastor Jen once pointed out in her sermon, behavior changes because of it - not because of having to, but because of wanting to. Would there be a church if it depended upon the support of those who only attend twice a year or less often? Would they have a site for baptisms and funerals? That's easy to answer.

Thankfully, there are others who respond to their faith on a regular basis. They do so out of thanksgiving and a desire to worship God. The Bible says it is impossible to take one's faith seriously without deeds. James 2:14 "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?" It's the old "actions speak louder than words" in practice. Deeds alone might not get you into Heaven, but they are a consequence of receiving grace.

It is not for me to judge those who do not practice their faith or fulfill their promise of Baptism. I was once one of those" maybe once or twice a month" attendees when our children were young.  But, I’m not really sure why some people find the ritual important, but the follow-through not.  
 
Personally I don't think God will care if we participated in a ritual, forwarded an email out of guilt, or professed to have faith, but I think He will care that we live what we truly believe. No man knows the heart and mind of God, but I know I feel much better in trying to live my faith.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment