Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Grateful American


Recently I was conversing with a gentleman and his wife as we rode in a shuttle to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I was a bit surprised when he said he was thrilled to be a part of the U.S. – the greatest country in the world.
My surprise wasn’t because I disagreed with him, but because he mentioned becoming a naturalized citizen after living 40 years in England. His English was impeccable so I surmise that he initially spent his youth as an inhabitant of a British territory. His ethnicity was also unknown, but it was obvious that he loved being an American citizen.  

His enthusiasm reminded me how much we take things for granted. Most of us have enough food to eat, clean water, clothing to wear, and a lifestyle that lets us enjoy leisure time. We complain about politicians, but don’t vote. We grumble because we can’t afford some of the finer things owned by others. We walk complacently by homeless people and those in need. We are blessed, but often reluctant to share with others. We worry about the future while millions worry just about today.
So this 4th of July, I hope we can each celebrate with both a grateful and caring heart. We may not be able to solve the world’s problems or even make a dent in what people need, but we can make a difference for at least one person.

So as fireworks light up the sky and picnic feasts are spread, I am going to thank God for timing and location – for less toil than our ancestors and for being born in the U.S. And then I’m going to do something to show that gratitude by sharing my blessings. I’m not sure just how yet, but I know that either the opportunity will come to me or I will make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment