Thursday, July 18, 2013

Blessed to Share

Is it really better to give than receive? Absolutely!

As I write this, I am thrilled and excited about two recent shopping experiences. I write not to boast, but to express my joy and to demonstrate how easy and inexpensive it is to make a difference.

On Wednesday, my sister, Marsha, and I went to Kohl's. Anyone who has shopped this department store knows that their sales and clearance prices are legendary, especially if you have their store credit card and a 30% discount coupon. I didn't have anything that I needed, but it was a great opportunity to purchase exceptional deals for those in need. I bought six sweaters and two tops with a gross retail value of $252 for $23.93 including tax. Those will go to Osawatomie State Mental Hospital where my daughter-in-law's father works as an activity supervisor. Many patients arrive with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing and no family to clothe them.

On Thursday night, I had dinner with my closest friends, Darwin and Susan. We planned to shop afterwards. For the past few years, Susan, I, and our friend, Belinda, have pooled our resources to buy two new air conditioners or fans (requested by the agency we chose last year).

We decided to check Home Depot to compare prices with another store I checked on line.  We found LG 5000 BTU units for $119. Darwin suggested that we buy three this year and decided to ask for a discount since these were going to a charity. He asked for a manager, and the young lady who helped us made contact via her walkie-talkie. She offered us $100 off the total of three units. Wow! Split three ways, we could donate three air conditioners at a cost to each of us of only $93.13 including tax! I can't wait to hear how much fun Darwin and Susan have when they deliver these to Penn House, especially since the agency was ecstatic about receiving two units. Thank you Home Depot!

Sometimes agencies ask for fans because they are less expensive and they can meet the needs of more people. But fans circulate hot air, and the elderly, those with medical issues, and young children can be very susceptible to heat-related, life-threatening issues. That is why we buy air conditioners. We can't give to everyone in need, but that won't and shouldn't stop us from doing what we can.

It's really that easy to make a difference. We are so blessed to be on the giving rather than receiving end, and sharing our blessings makes this a better world for us and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment