Friday, April 17, 2020

What to Do

I am so very gratified to see what is happening amid and in spite of the current crisis―people are helping to care for their fellowman in recognition of the humanity we all share. It relates perfectly with my favorite passage from the Bible on how to live our lives.

Hebrews 10:24: "Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds," I think  epitomizes what we are placed on this earth to do―to love and care for each other. And what better way to do that than to begin with ourselves and encourage others to do the same! 

For five years, I wrote a column of make-a-difference articles for the Humanitarian Examiner, an online periodical, based upon that passage from the Bible. I believe one of the best ways we can encourage one another is to share ideas (not to be confused with boasting about our good works).

When we share ideas, we help others understand what to do, so here is my first suggestion: If you don't need all or some of your stimulus money, put it to work. This is the time to donate to food pantries, homeless shelters, utility help programs, etc. Having said that, avoid scams and don't answer phone calls with unknown numbers or unfamiliar identification, and do not open emails from organizations with which you are not familiar or to which you have never donated. 

The best thing to do when making a donation is to check out the organization, or give to ones on your current donation list. Use sites such as Charity Navigator to find out information, and never give (or commit to give) to any new organization without checking. Some may seem legitimate but have a disproportionate amount of administrative costs with a terrible record of dispersing funds to those who really need it. And, of course, never give your personal information (bank account, SSN, Medicare ID, etc.) on a phone call you didn't initiate or are uncertain of the phone number or website.

My personal goal is to find people in need of food who have fallen through the cracks, and donate 20 pizzas from Pizza Hut (they have $5+ medium pizzas) or some other prepared food from a local restaurant. If I can't find individuals or families on my own, I'll send them to a homeless shelter or a group serving those in need. It's a win-win in helping those who are hungry as well as locally supporting those working in the food service industry. 

The opportunity to help is now and in the days ahead. I'm grateful for my blessings and I intend to follow Hebrews 10:24 as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment