Monday, December 28, 2015

It Only Now Begins

I'm always a little sad when Christmas is over so I don't take down the Christmas decorations until mid-January. By then, I'm feeling a little guilty about having them up for 2 months, but I really enjoy the way it makes my home so inviting and special.

This year, I also faced a change that will result in a dilemma next year. My church changed service times which conflicted with our annual open house that had been an event since 1973. I learned too late that the later service (in the past it was midnight, 11pm and then 10pm) was abolished due to low attendance of maybe 30 people last year. I couldn't cancel my open house because family and friends begin looking forward to it as early as October. I understand why the change was made, but I still am saddened by the decision.

Since 1969, I had been attending these candlelight services (and the later one for almost 3 decades), and I believe that was only the 3rd time I'd ever missed a Christmas Eve service. Instead, my younger son and I attended my older son's and daughter-in-law's church. It was a nice contemporary service, but we missed the traditional candlelight service of our own church. Next year, I'll have to decide which event of more than 40 years takes priority - the open house or attending my own church's services. We'll see what happens...

When Steve was living, I could always look forward to New Year's Day and our anniversary later in January. Now I have to focus on something else, and it is actually the right thing to do.

Jesus is born!!! The world changed with that one simple event, and now the journey to follow him begins anew. I can make whatever NewYear's resolutions I want, but I know everything should focus on how I can continue his lessons for living. And in the end, it won't matter whether I have an open house or attend different church services on Christmas Eve - what matters is that I remember the significance of Christmas itself and live it every day. I hope that is a reality for all my Christian friends and family too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment