Monday, December 21, 2015

More Than a Business

For the second time, I am the recipient of a special kindness from a business. In fact, it's difficult for me to think of them as a business because we have a special bond that has lasted more than 3 decades. To me, they epitomize what commerce and good customer service should be about and here's why:

Every year, but one (because I was expecting), my husband had something under the tree for me from my favorite women's clothing store - Saffees. It was my favorite for a number of reasons, and not just because of the quality and selection of their clothing. Over the years, we became friends with a son and daughter of the owners who have now taken over the family business.

The year I lost my husband, I received a call from the manager Bonnie McConnell Smith who unfortunately passed away recently. Bonnie was special, too, and always knew what I would I like, although my husband Steve did an excellent job of that himself.

Bonnie called to tell me they had something for me that she needed to drop by my home. Apparently, the owners' son, also named Steve, awoke in the middle of the night thinking, "What about Vicki?" He knew the tradition, and was adamant that a gift from Saffees should be under my tree. So these fine people presented me with an Oleg Cassini running suit.

This year, while shopping at Oak Park Mall, I visited with Marie who now manages the store there. (It's customary for me to visit that store at least annually to purchase stocking stuffers which are donated). As always, we visited and I also found a couple of gifts for family.

Now, back in Lawrence, I decided there was one additional item I wanted so I called Marie to ask her to send it to the Lawrence store for pick-up. When the Lawrence store called to tell me it had arrived, I asked them to put it on my account and I would try to have one of my sons pick it up for me.

Soon after, I received another call from Cheryl who said that she would press the wrinkles out of the item for me, gift wrap it, and either she or Steve would personally drop it by my home, or they would send it UPS. This was not an expensive item so I told them to please not make an extra effort, but Cheryl stated that Steve wanted to do that for me. Within a few hours, the package was delivered!

I have been the recipient of many kindnesses, but one doesn't expect those same kindnesses from a business. That is what makes Saffees so special. Even though I can only make it into the local store a couple of times a year, they continue to bestow the same kindness and courtesy I truly value from them.

The Bible tells us to "love one another," and Titus 3:8 states: "...so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone." The Saffees staff and owners live that philosophy, so while other stores may be caught up in the commercialization of Christmas, these individuals truly make this a better world for their fellowman.

Merry Christmas to all, and may you also give and receive many unexpected kindnesses this holiday season.


No comments:

Post a Comment