Saturday, December 12, 2015

Wishing or Praying? Hope at Christmas

It occurred to me recently that both wishing and praying are about hope. In this season that is all about hope, it's interesting to reflect on the two.

I think the biggest difference between wishing and praying is that the later is based on faith. We are making our wants and needs known specifically to God, and hoping that it is His will to honor our request. Wishing, on the other hand, is just hoping that something will occur.

I also know that I'm ignorant of the big picture. Some bad things will happen; Christians are not immune. Sometimes, it's really difficult to understand why God lets certain things occur, but I believe it all works according to His BIG plan. Although it's not easy, I also think God will help us to make lemonade out of the lemons that we encounter on our life's journey. In fact, I've seen that to be true with of my own heartaches. The Bible specifically addresses it in Romans 8:28 - "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I have to admit, there are so many blessings in my life that I couldn't begin to list all of them. I especially notice this around the holidays when, I believe it was Dickens who said in A Christmas Carol, "want is felt more keenly." I have everything I need, and most everything that I really want. That's a true blessing, and I feel it my responsibility to share that blessing with others.

If you read my story in the recently released Chicken Soup for the Soul: Merry Christmas! edition, you will understand why the loss of my husband always makes this time of the year a little bittersweet. While I'm sad that I can't have Steve here to share the holiday with me, I love Christmas and the hope that it stands for. And for those of us who have experienced significant loss, it is that hope which often drives us to prayer.

And now, Merry Christmas to all, and I pray that you will share the love, peace, hope and blessings of the season, especially with those who need it most!

No comments:

Post a Comment