Monday, May 27, 2013

Surprises, surprises, surprises

As a subscriber to a number of writer newsletters, I recently learned that you can set Google alerts. For me, I chose Inspiration, Make a Difference, my name and the names of my books. These alerts have brought some very surprising and interesting results.

For instance, I discovered that Canada is offering money to senior citizens to use to make a difference. I've also clicked on links to read heartwarming stories of others who have done some remarkable things. And the best part is that these individuals range from the very young to the very old.

Just recently, two first graders enlisted the help of neighbors to raise funds for the victims of the Moore, OK tornado. Check out: Not too young to make a difference. But, there are many other everyday occurrences that many of us might not otherwise notice.

My sister, niece, and 11 year old great-niece (Sydney) recently visited over the holiday. On Friday, the four of us ventured to place flowers on the graves of my parents after making a brief stop by the Dollar Tree for some faux flowers to supplement the real ones. While there, Sydney insisted on gathering her own tribute for the great-grandparents she never knew. Later, watching her lovingly place those by the tombstone was approbation that no matter the age, anyone can do something good in this world.

No, she didn't feed the hungry, find a cure for cancer, or write a check to her favorite charity. But she did take time to show respect, not just to my parents, but to spend time reading the epitaphs of others in the cemetery. She demonstrated caring and compassion. And that does make this world a better place for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment