Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas Themes

I admit to watching and liking some of the secular Christmas movies, but I'm beginning to lose patience with the same theme over and over.

How many times can you watch Dickens' A Christmas Carol being adapted into a controlling, cold-hearted workaholic's redemption? Or, how many times can you watch the prodigal son or daughter reluctantly returning home and ultimately finding joy in celebrating Christmas? Or how about the bad business prospector who wants to tear down part of the town in the name of progress but has a change of heart, or the hero or heroine prevents him from doing so?

Although I like the animated shows like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, I grow weary of the idea of cancelling Christmas because of Santa. You can also add that focus to the mix of Lifetime's and the Hallmark Channel's other themes noted above.

Is there a problem with at least some people celebrating Christmas Eve in these movies by going to church? I'd almost bet that most of the viewers who like what Lifetime and the Hallmark Channel offer go, even if it's the only church service attended all year.

I know that many people celebrate Christmas as secular and nothing more, but I think there is a missed opportunity. I'm not suggesting converting anyone to Christianity through this media, but it would be nice once in a while to have a small acknowledgement of what Christmas is really about.

While I don't think that much will change unless authors like Debbie MacComber cranks out more adaptable movies like "Mrs. Miracle," which features an angel who provides needed Christmas intervention, I'm beginning to more closely screen what I watch.

At one time, I watched anything remotely Christmas-oriented. Now, I spend more time reading Christmas-themed books. It doesn't need to be an in-your-face type of book, just one that recognizes in some way what it's really all about.

Barring any new and unique Christmas-themed shows, I intend to pull out my DVD's of It' s a Wonderful Life, Alastair Sim's version of A Christmas Carol, and yes, even A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th Street.  After all, part of me is still a kid at heart. And just like Virginia, I still believe, but in a little more than just Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment