Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Resolutions Every Day!

I'm really not one for making New Year's resolutions, mostly because I think it's best to look at ourselves each day and decide what we need to do differently tomorrow. How can we make this world a little better?

My 7th grade science teacher said something that has resonated with me throughout my life. "We aren't the same person we were yesterday. Cells die and new ones replace them." It's a very subtle process, but it makes sense. It also gives us an opportunity to lose some emotional baggage (hindsight is always 20/20) and realize that each new day brings new opportunities.

So what is my resolution for tomorrow? I'm going to awaken with the goal to contact my son, Chris, who just had hernia surgery this morning, and see what I can do to help him and his wife. I'm then going to return a call to my brother-in-law in South Carolina and arrange to send a copy of the latest Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Wives (in which I have an entry) to my sister-in-law. That's two good deeds for the day, although they are just for family.

Tomorrow, I will awaken and probably decide where to shop on Thursday for some great buys in clothing or other necessities that I can then donate. I'm sure that Kohl's and maybe the grocery store will be on that list. After that, well...you get the idea.

My blog focuses on "why we are here." To me, it's simple. We are here to care for one another. That isn't a one day or even a yearly goal. It's on-going, just as I think resolutions should be.

Happy 2014 (every day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment